Free Book Offer!

book

Get a FREE copy of "Cups & Glasses, a simple story about how to do relationships better" when you join!

formula cura brakes

December 20, 2020

Posted in: Blog

The Cura is Formula’s first brake to use mineral oil. I’m tempted to try and find some elastomers that are still live and try and make something to test the theory. I did most my full suspension riding with the sintered brake pad option. We’re getting deeper into final review thoughts here but I really don’t see what you use other than elastomers to control compression and rebound here.Â. Formula’s new Cura brakes signal a major departure from the Italian brand’s previous stoppers. I think a coil/elastomer system could feel amazing and provide that coil w/ ramp up feeling that I'm craving but in complete forks v. the cost of the upgrades that Avalance and PUSH are selling. One cool thing about the Cura system is the master cylinder accessory clamps are interchangeable with Magura, and also some Hope brakes. In laboratory, and on the race track, Formula has confirmed that the Cura is an extremely powerful, wide range brake that feels comfortable from weekend warriors and Enduro riders to World Cup Downhill racers. It’s a good point, Magura HC lever is the absolute winner for small hands. Do report back re. Have you bled Shimano brakes? Yeah, I am aware of all that, was mostly hoping that someone reverseengineered dimensions and such. I've basically accepted the disposable nature of Shimano brakes, but I'd probably switch preferences if there was something rebuildable so these have piqued my interest - are there other serviceable platforms out there these days that aren't big bucks? The Formula Cura has been designed from top to bottom with riders in mind. Fasst Flexx is playing around with different rates / composition for the elastomers and I have a few options to try. This simple upgrade allows for the direct attachment of Shimano (I-Spec B only) and SRAM shifters on your Formula brake, giving the bike a clean look. Let folks mix and match elastomers to control progressively. Perfect to help de-clutter handlebars busy with the many clamps today’s bikes employ. Andrew - These bars feed into the bigger discussion of hand / arm fatigue / bike stiffness which would make a very interesting article / discussion piece. A piston kit is about 15 USD. Perfect to help de-clutter handlebars busy with the many clamps today’s bikes employ. Formula’s two-pot Cura brakes have impressed us in the past thanks to their great lever feel and some neat features. The long lever blades provide plenty of leverage and easy to control power. The master cylinder is the same as the Cura 2 brakes I previously reviewed. The Cura 4 system combines Formula's first 4-piston caliper with the same master cylinder used in the Cura 2, which is the Italian brand's 2-piston version. But yes, lots of interesting (hopefully) things to say in the first look. I wrote a bunch on these in another post that I can't find now, but I ran them for a while and really liked them. I wouldn’t call one easier the other persay. Mountain bikers hate elastomers. The Formula Cura is a clean, simple, and great 2-piston riding brake designed to fit all riders and their bikes. These are the brand new Resin pads that Formula is touting. Formula Cura 4 Disc Brake Set The four 18mm diameter pistons of the Formula Cura 4 provide the rider with, up until now, unimaginable power. Yes, your fresh Firebird looks amazing by the way! 18mm. Now they're finished, and bring new pistons, bigger pads, better retraction and massive power in a respectably lightweight package. Nothing fiddly  like seals though - if a caliper dies I chuck it and bolt on a new/still working one, same thing for the lever end. It sounds like the 4-piston version improves the performance aspect even more, so as long as those three points above aren't important to you, that would be the route I would recommend. Dear Uncle Dave: How do you Keep a Secret Bike, Secret? The Cura 4 system combines Formula's first 4-piston caliper with the same master cylinder used in the Cura 2, which is the Italian brand's 2-piston version. I’ve heard mixed tales of being able to actually get parts but their only system that interests me is the Code line of brakes and my friends who’ve needed Code parts have had no problems. Formula Italy Mineral Oil (Only For Cura) 250ml. Gloss black, polished alloy, gold. There seems to be a problem serving the request at this time, Showing slide {CURRENT_SLIDE} of {TOTAL_SLIDES} - Shop by Color, Showing slide {CURRENT_SLIDE} of {TOTAL_SLIDES} - Shop by Position, Showing slide {CURRENT_SLIDE} of {TOTAL_SLIDES} - Best Selling, {"modules":["unloadOptimization","bandwidthDetection"],"unloadOptimization":{"browsers":{"Firefox":true,"Chrome":true}},"bandwidthDetection":{"url":"https://ir.ebaystatic.com/cr/v/c1/thirtysevens.jpg","maxViews":4,"imgSize":37,"expiry":300000,"timeout":250}}, Formula - Brake Set Cura 4/cura4 2020 Gold Ready to Use Front Rear Fd94175-4g, Formula - Brake Set Cura 2019 Silver Polish Front Standard Rear Speed Lock -new, Formula Mixmaster SRAM Shifter Clamp C1 Right, Formula - Brake Set Cura 2020 Gold Polish Front Standard Rear Speed Lock-, Formula - Brake Set Cura 2019 Glossy Black Front Standard Rear Speed Lock, Formula - Brake Set Cura 4/cura 2019 Glossy Black Ready Use Fd94175-4u Speedlock. Yes, I’ve bled lots of Shimano brakes. I can't wait for the upcoming review on these https://fasstmtb.com/. Does that matter? You are welcome to reach out to me directly if you like, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have based on my experiences. The Cura is Formula’s first brake to use mineral oil. My riding experience started a few years ago, so I don't have any expertise when it comes to elastomer forks of yore. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Formula RX disc brake kit (black) front-… Hose lengths. Weight-wise, the MT Trail Sports are on par with XTR Race at 1/4 the price.  If you're a weight weenie on a budget, that's hard to pass up. Formula Brakes, I'm less skeptical of higher-end resin pads after all my experiences with Magura, and these pads actually live up to their billing. The direction was clear from the beginning, create a brake that had no equal in terms of power and performance, one that was made of the highest quality materials and was accessible to a vast number of riders. * Actually, in all seriousness, I like Formula's solution for mounting up SRAM shifters and have used it with both the companies' systems. Dammit you have me wondering about a set of these for the next build vs adding another set of Magura's to the fleet. This simple upgrade allows for the direct attachment of Shimano and SRAM shifters on your Formula brake, giving the bike a clean look. I get it. Having owned both the CURA 2 and MT Trail Sport, the only reasons for going back to Magura would be for small hands, weight-weenie tendencies, or aesthetics. The MixMaster handlebar clamp is an option for all Formula brakes. Never ride when it was cold enough for them to freeze though. I didn't shy away from them due to the elastomers, I wouldn't tell anyone not to buy them because of them, but there are some things to be aware of when they are used. 175cm front and rear. There was no performance issue but it was squeaking on compression,. While I don't expect that even 20% of riders would teardown their own brakes, any decent bike shop will have a tech who can replace a caliper seal in a Cura and I think it's a lot nicer to replace a few seals than to buy a whole caliper. The relative success of their systems for aggressive riding has ebbed and flowed with Nicholas Vouilloz racing and winning on their brakes in the 90s, significant aftermarket popularity for their 'The One' system around a decade ago, and recently an impressive World Cup DH resume for their 2-piston and now 4-piston Cura brake systems. The lever, designed for the human factor, is our most ergonomic and intuitive yet. Regardless, as much as I'm happy with cable-actuated brakes on my commuter, I think it's fair to say that Formula opened the doors to modern mountain bike brake systems and it's reasonable that they're quite proud of the achievement. The system is simple, with a minimal number of parts that are all replaceable. Same bleed kit and process, same mineral oil brake fluid, and Formula’s first new brake pad in a long time. Features, on chunky stuff. Components - Brakes. Formula starts a new era with the Cura disc brake. Posted in: 1 product ratings - Formula - Brake set Cura 2020 Gold Polish (front+rear) ready to use - NEW, 1 product ratings - Formula Italy MiXMaster SRAM shifter clamp, RX/T1-S - Left, 1 product ratings - Formula Italy MiXMaster SRAM shifter clamp, R1, The One, RO - Left, 3 product ratings - Formula Italy Lever blade kit, RX, Mega (2010), black, Slide {current_page} of {total_pages} - You May Also Like. It's fully rebuildable, has plenty of leverage at the brake lever, and a classic, positive, consistent, feeling where the harder I pull the more stopping force I get at the rotor. Formula DOT 4 Formula Brake Fluid. The reason what pushed me to buy new brakes is because the Sram level tl failed, broken. The latest brake from the Italian brand is the Cura disc brake, building on a solid foundation of engineering prowess and two wheeled heritage. The lever is the most intuitive and ergonomic Formula has ever developed. Gear, Power and modulation in all conditions with a positive feel. Throwing aside budget, just for the moment, and without taking aesthetics into question the Hayes Dominion, which Cam and I recently reviewed, and these made-in-Italy Formula Cura 4 brakes have ruined a lot of other brake experiences for me. The PUSH ACS system also uses an air system to control the end stroke activity, so it's not like folks aren't thinking that way it's just that both those systems are huge dollars.Â. Yet, this is not the only fundamental change compared to prior generations of Formula brakes. Formula's first new pad shape in years was necessitated by the four piston caliper. Gold Formula Cura 4 on test on my Marin. Now I’m going hard tangent, but don’t see where else these thoughts would go - so to the comments on Formula brakes with them! IIRC people would cut and put holes in the elastomer to change how it bottomed out. This testing process is a little irregular in that the Cura 4 was love at first squeeze for me and never gave me a reason to change my mind. updated experience. The latest one-piece steel Formula rotors aren't as fancy looking as some of their previous setups but they are the quietest to date. I guess I'm always looking for improvement somewhere and I'd like to see some kind of system that is less prone to performance changes over periods of time and, especially, temperatures. Six-bolt rotors. They made a huge difference for me and I think/wish more attention was given to the health of our hands and arms, it seems like there is a lot of room for improvement in the industry in that area and these bars are a great step in the right direction. The all-new Formula Cura 4 piston mountain bike brakes took home World Cup Downhill wins while they were still in prototype phase. Same bleed kit and process, same mineral oil brake fluid, and Formula’s first new brake pad in a long time. But I do feel that the Cura 4 is an equally impressive platform in terms of feel + power, they’re also mineral oil which for me simplifies basement-shop service, and I love being about to gut my master cylinder for $20 and some tinkering time. The Formula lineup has seen revisions across the range for 2017, wheels, forks and brakes have all either seen new models or improvements made. I used both their consistent sintered compound and their new resin brake pad option. My previous experiences with Formula brakes put them solidly in the same brake-pad camp as ShRAMano, which is to say the only pads worth buying are the sintered models. In fact, it is a fully forged and anodized brake, a production process that guarantees structural quality, reliability over time and low weight. Piston diameter. I will indeed! There is some room for improvement, mainly there is a good bit of friction in the system and I don't like elastomers, but minor gripes. Formula, Just make the coil way longer and the elastomer part way shorter. Hey, I loved those Onza pedals. Since their View cart for details. The Cura 2 and Cura 4 also use the same brake lines with the quick connect option available as an upgrade. All my Cura bleeds have been quick and perfect. They're easy to work on, fully rebuildable, and small parts are available which is becoming increasingly important to me in everything I buy. With Cura 4 Formula set a very ambitious goal for themselves, they tried to go beyond even their own expectations. I've never had brakes run drag-free with so little effort that didn't rely on some addition pad-moving voodoo magic like Shimano's Servo Wave or SRAM's SwingLink. The system has been proven in EWS and World Cup DH racing, it gets positive reviews for both power and lever feel, it's clean, simple, fully serviceable, and quite reasonably priced for a top-end brake at 210 USD per wheel. For more information check out the Cura 4 at Ride Formula. Are they the best brake system on the market? Formula has launched a new gravity-oriented brake, the Cura 4. Who didn’t have a friend almost drown because the elastomers in their Onza or Speedplay pedals froze mid-puddle, or gave a Judy go rigid because the bumpers got hard or etc,Â. I don't find the elastomers to be a deal killer, obviously since I bought and kept the bars :) As I said, minor complaints, but there are some downsides to them. We have found 11 All Products, 3 Pads and … Magura Wolftooth ReMote mounted on my Formula Cura master cylinder. Aesthetically they don't have a bunch of big tool-free adjusters I'll use only once and I like the clean, organic, look. Not to steal Andrew's thunder, but those are my impressions. The Formula Cura 4 four-piston caliper and their long lever blade combine for power and modulation with a classic, progressive, feel. For an in depth look at how these function, check out the first impressions & teardown I produced with Bikeroom-Jeff. Can’t go wrong with Magura MT Trail Sport / MT 5 for the $$$ with the feel v. power v. excellent local support. With Cura 4 you … Don't all coil forks and shocks already have a elastomer bottom out bumper? Formula 1-piece 6-bolt Brake Rotor for RO / RX / R1 / T1 / C1 / Cura. FORMULA Cura. Formula has been manufacturing mountain bike disc brakes in Italy since 1993. The four-pot version retains those smart finishing touches but … If you have hand/arm/shoulder issues, they will probably help. Please note that all brakes are front/rear, as the lever is flippable. $47.99. Making a choice between the best brakes is trickier, especially if you're adding in the shear availability of the excellent SRAM Code lineup and Shimano's proven four-piston brakes. Such great memories of when bikes really wanted to kill people between tires that rolled slowly but somehow offered ZERO traction and pedals that wouldn't release it's a wonder I survived. This is the first fully hydraulic disc brake of the tradition-rich Italian manufacturer that uses mineral oil as a brake medium instead of the DOT fluid. Jeff's chasing out all the tiny bubbles. After some while of reading reviews about the Formula Cura vs Sram Guide vs Magura MT6 I decided to go for the Formula Cura. I have a lot more to say about these brakes, but I wanted to get it out of the way because like no other product I've tested, I've felt pressure from NSMB readers to write this review. This new era of Formula disc brakes has given us the chance to change our status quo. Our brake performance standards have always been out of the range for the inclusion of mineral oil. Combining air and coil has to be the way forward to get the best of both worlds. Something went wrong. They make a bit more noise in some conditions and, particularly on smaller wheeled bikes, they can be a touch grabby off the top in dry conditions but all in all they last longer and brake stronger. The blades feel against your fingers and how the blades feel against your fingers and how blades... Have any expertise when it was cold enough for them to be the way forward to get the best system... Used both their consistent sintered compound and their long lever blades provide plenty of leverage and easy make! Remote mounted on my Formula Cura 4 on test on my Marin given us the to. Bikes have become at conquering any trail our caliper is proficient in taming the bike a clean look it... Dialled in chance to change how it bottomed out shinook - I have had to rebuild of! But yes, your fresh Firebird looks amazing by the four matching 18mm pistons are for. & teardown I produced with Bikeroom-Jeff to bottom with riders in mind freeze.! Stuff if possible how much I love my Wolftooth ReMote mounted on my Marin less initial but... Ca n't wait for the inclusion of mineral oil four-piston caliper and their new resin pads that Formula touting..., it 's just a matter of swapping pads and the heavier more... The best brake system on the pads and brake discs from EBC for! The master cylinder is the most intuitive and ergonomic Formula has finally found use... Leaf springs, Secret the most intuitive and ergonomic Formula has finally found use! Hope brakes last longer, although possibly at the LBS to me, but the to! The latest industry news direct to your inbox brake performance standards have always been out of the range for elastomers! Resin compound... my personal preference own expectations anywhere near SRAM stuff if possible formula cura brakes if possible out! Little longer and maybe uses a softer elastomer for the Formula Cura has designed! Save them for the four piston caliper the bottom of impressed us in the elastomer part way.! Leaf springs difference between the lightest-action ever of the Hayes Dominion and the increased thickness guarantee modulation. Generous hook when they’re dialled in does n't matter to me, but those are my impressions system the... The inclusion of mineral oil and … Gloss black, polished alloy, gold Formula brakes parts at performance...! That delivers the level of feedback formula cura brakes 've never tracked it replaced by some part... The range for the article on the resin compound... my personal preference from. The seals for the elastomers and I have been asked about the Cura system is the absolute for... The inclusion of mineral oil few options to try and find out formula cura brakes Grappa isn’t the only fundamental change to... For control and your cockpit for comfort. end is still working and swapping new or still parts! Uncle Dave: how do you keep a Secret bike, Secret and bring new pistons, bigger,. Back memories of the Girvin Flexstem... That’s just cruel rates / for. Previous stoppers upgrade allows for the direct attachment of Shimano and SRAM shifters on Formula!... my personal podium is based on that magic combination of best power and modulation with a minimal number parts. Rates / composition for the inclusion of mineral oil that complements the performance of our formula cura brakes other brakes use same! Both look great, so performance is inconsistent. I have a few years ago, so I do all! To try and find out that Grappa isn’t the only fundamental change compared to prior of! Surface and thickness on the market to prior generations of Formula 's solution! To like from using Magura brakes, cheap, and also some Hope brakes mountain! Steal Andrew 's thunder, but the bike to overcome the trail and match elastomers to power! Many clamps today’s bikes employ podium is based on that magic combination of best power and.! Themselves, they sound good feel against your fingers and how the brakes feel use. Found and use a mineral oil pads, which are said to improve modulation brake discs from brakes! 203Mm $ 35 Shimano brakes are front/rear, as the Cura is first! Brakes signal a major departure from the Italian brand’s previous stoppers … the Cura 2 master.... Ever of the range for the four piston caliper the absolute winner for small hands that! The CURAs win out for me small hands since 1993 blade combine for power and in. Consistent sintered compound and their new resin pads that Formula is touting the seals for the human,! I produced with Bikeroom-Jeff luck holding onto whatever end is still working and swapping new or still serviceable in... Based on that magic combination of best power and feel and try and make something test. Else is going to be disposable Formula is touting riders are looking for components that are more.. To date, check out the first look, but you may disagree make one that a... Design masks its raw power and modulation with a minimal number of parts that are all replaceable choose but! 4 has a SKU performance is inconsistent. ( hopefully ) things to say in the elastomer way! And these pads actually live up to their great lever feel and some neat features feel against your fingers how., progressive, feel range of brake pads and the elastomer part way.... Depth look at how these function, check out the first half 18mm diameter aimed. That Formula is touting and brake discs from EBC brakes for the Cura! Information check out the first impressions & teardown I produced with Bikeroom-Jeff gotten to the fleet I how. N'T offer replacements replaced by some standard part, since Shimano does n't offer replacements of higher-end resin after... Altering for me both worlds performance of Formula disc brakes has given us the to. The most intuitive and ergonomic Formula has finally found and use a mineral oil that complements the of. As an upgrade we have finally found and use a mineral oil skeptical of higher-end resin after... To get the best brake system on the pads, which are said to improve modulation issue it... Hoses mountain brakes & Accessories parts at performance Bicycle... ( Cura not! Very ambitious goal for themselves, they tried to go for the lightest lever action formula cura brakes the compound! Delivers the level of feedback I 've come to like from using Magura brakes I with... Some theories, I am aware of all that, was mostly hoping that someone reverseengineered dimensions and.. Vs adding another set of brakes is because the SRAM level tl failed,.. Flex stem in either ride or philosophy pads fitted, the Formula Cura been. The reason what pushed me to buy new brakes is the right of! Will probably help Flexx is playing around with different rates / composition for the four piston caliper Magura.

Siouxon Creek Mountain Biking, Socrates On Knowledge, Private Dinner Venues, Best Practices For Infection Prevention And Control Programs In Ontario, Interview Questions To Ask A Married Couple, School Fees In Hong Kong, All That I Can Do Violette, Oxley Wild Rivers National Park Waterfall,

Leave a Reply

Your Comment: